Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Progressive Peru?

I spent most of the day walking around Cusco and booking my activities for the next week. One of the stranger things I noticed was that all the stores and government buildings were flying rainbow-colored flags. I thought to myself, "Damn, Cusco is way ahead of the curve. The city must be the most progressive city in South America, as they must have a very-well developed gay and lesbian tourism industry." It was only later that I learned that the rainbow-colored flag is actually Cusco's municipal flag. Apparently the flag's similarity to the gay/lesbian flag has caused much embarassement in Cusco, and the city is considering changing its flag. So much for being a progressive city...But it still doesn't explain why I was being offered "massages" by people on the street all day...

Also, the altitude is killing me. Cusco sits at 11,000 feet up in the Andes. It was a little embarassing to get passed reapeatedly by 80-year old women carrying groceries as I was doubled-over trying to catch my breath. Cusco's streets do the newly-arrived visitor no favors. I can only compare it to a 5-pack-a-day smoker trying to navigate the hills of San Francisco. If you don't mind, I think I am going to go throw up.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Yo Dave. Done puking yet? I think it is very appropriate that you are in rainbow land.
but what about this nickname rizzle? i'm dying to hear that explanation!
going home now to see your mom and grandma...about to start cooking up a storm. wish you were here. have a great trip.
your whacky auntie

Anonymous said...

Hope you've adapted to the altitude by now, though it does take several days to several weeks to feel any real comfort at 11K feet. Comments about the Cusco flag were hilarious...I'd love to suggest a replacement design. Stay well and keep posting. Joe Enright