Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Copa...Copacabana

I finally tore myself away from Ilha Grande and am now in Rio de Janeiro. The city is spectacularly beautiful, probably the most beautiful big city I have ever seen. Its built between, and on the sides of, a series of mountains that come down to the Atlantic Ocean. I took a train up one of these mountains to the see the famous statute of Christ that overlooks the city. The sunset from atop the moutain was amazing, as the city and its landscape were bathed in rosy light.

Brazil is not what I expected it to be. Brazil has a reputation for having the most fun (think soccer games), the best music (think samba), the most beautiful women (think Gisele), and the best food (think steak). But the overwhelming feeling I get after talking to Brazilians is one of pessimissm and sadness. Most of the Brazilians I have met are upset with the country´s enormous income/wealth disparities, the glaring lack of security, low salaries, corruption, a brain drain, tax cheating, and a system that does not incentivize hard work. Young, talented, and motivated Brazilians are looking to leave Brazil. I am going to Rio´s championship soccer game tomorrow, so perhaps my perceptions will change as I see Brazilians in their true element. Everybody keeps telling me that I need to be careful because the games and fans are intense. (Apparently, its not uncommon for gunshots to be fired in the stadium.)


I am still reveling in my passing the bar. Life continues to be good, very good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heart Barry!! Rog and I are reading religiously and wish we were there. Congrats on the bar! We will keep Grandma Ann updated on the travels of her 'Big D'. She can't stop talking about you!
Be safe.
Much Love,
Erica & Rog