Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It's Great to be a Michigan Wolverine


Never have I been prouder to be a University of Michigan alum. On the trek to Everest, we stayed the 8th night at a sherpa's cottage at 14,000 feet. (The nearest road is a 15-day walk...) I was with a group of people sitting around this sherpa's wood-fired stove--he barely spoke English--and I asked him if he had any games we could play. He was apologetic and said that he had only one game: MICHIGANOPOLY. I thought I was going to start crying as he started explaining that he got it from one of the climbers at Everest Base Camp. Picture this, I am halfway around the world, in the shadow of the earth's tallest mountain, and am looking at a board game with all my favorite places from college--Cottage Inn Pizza, State Street, Michgan Stadium, and the Diag. I was so happy to recall these places and know that my fellow alumni are taking on the world's toughest challenges.

I can assure you that Michigan State alumni don't summit Everest.

1 comment:

Nora said...

I've got goosebumps!!! GO BLUE!!!!!