Sunday, September 9, 2007

Initial impressions of Fiji

The people here have mesmerizing looks. I can't help but think that everybody here looks like a darker version of He-Man's sidekick, Ram Man (picture at left). Fijians are the most impossibly broad people I've ever seen, with the women even having NFL-sized shoulders.

Fiji seems like the perfect place to get away from it all. Unfortunately, for the last six weeks I have been in Australia and New Zealand, about as far away as one gets from "it all." If I was any more mellow, I wouldn't have a pulse.

I can confirm that they sell FIJI "natural artesian water" here, the stuff that Americans buy for $5 a bottle at Starbucks. The half dozen Fijians that I've spoken with all think its hilarious that Americans are 1) obsessed with the water and 2) pay almost 10 times the local price for it.

And before you ask, no, I haven't run into Vijay Singh yet.

No comments: