Wednesday, September 19, 2007

UPDATE: From Tarmac to Operating Room

Well, the plan was to come home from Fiji, sleep for a few hours, and then start my new job. But as Steinbeck wrote, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." Instead, I came home from Fiji, slept for a few hours, and then went straight into the hospital to have an operation on my infected leg...

By the time I had stepped off the Fiji-LA-Atlanta-Washington, DC flights, my leg had swollen to the size of Kobayashi's stomach after the Coney Island hot dog eating contest. First thing Monday morning I went to a doctor, who told me that I need to have leg surgery immediately. An hour later, I was waking up from the deepest sleep I've ever had with a golf-ball-sized chunk of my leg missing. Seriously, does this stuff happen to anybody else? At least this all happened on my last day of vacation and not in the middle. I would have hated to miss Everest.

8 comments:

kjglade said...

You best be getting that leg healed ASAP...you've got a marathon to train for!! ;)

Nora said...

Wow, you'll do ANYTHING to avoid starting practice...

wagdog said...

Sorry to hear about your bum leg - just wanted to let you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed your stories - - I have been offline for 3 weeks and just caught up! Thanks for the entertainment at work - - Keep in touch,

wagdog

wagdog said...

Sorry to hear about your bum leg - just wanted to let you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed your stories - - I have been offline for 3 weeks and just caught up! Thanks for the entertainment at work - - Keep in touch

Unknown said...

get well soon dave!

Unknown said...

get well soon dave!

Koren said...

Get well soon!

Steph said...

Wow-- no, stuff like that does not happen to other people. (Other people would have the horrible stuff happen at the beginning or middle of the trip, not at the tail end!) In some ways you are very lucky-- in others, not at all. Hope you feel better soon, Dave.