Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Darth Vader's Winery

Robert and I had a great time visiting some of Mendoza´s wineries yesterday. Its a little surprising to me that they have wineries at all here, because Mendoza is essentially re-claimed desert. The scenery is spectacular, as the city and its vineyards sit right at the base of the Andes' 10,000 foot peaks.

The good news is that wine tastings are no less pretentious in Argentina than anywhere else in the world. Robert and I heard that various wines had hints of chocolate, leather, sand, asparagus, citrus, and mango. What a load of balogna! All I tasted was 18 glasses of pretty damn good red wine. (But I may not have the most refined pallette, as I think Taco Bell tastes good....)

The last winery we visited was described in a local magazine as ¨Darth Vader´s bodega.¨ It was definitely 22nd century architecture. It reminded Robert and I more of an Iranian nuclear processing facility. The entire building was made out of concrete and could probably withstand most of what Chile's army has to offer. We weren't at all surprised to learn that Kim Jong-Il had a 20% stake in the winery.

We´ll be here until Sunday, when Robert flies back to his desk job in Washington and I fly onto sunny Brazil. Ciao for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Konichiwa! Guten tag! Ohio! Ciao! Xin Ciao! Hola! Namaste!

how are you traveling man? I am soooooooo jealous of you and have been drooling over your blog. I have not been able to post messages b/c my blog spot thinks i can speak Japanese.

Anyway, how are you? How was the jungle? I am sure you are living every moment like no other. South America is on my list of must-see-very-soon places. I have only been to Brazil... you will love the string bikinis!

Just wanted to let you know that I will be sitting my lazy arse on a beach in Koh Phangan, Thailand from June 15 - June 24...

I am going to go do a yoga and detox retreat and enjoy NOT having to work. Everytime I get a break from work I run around some country like a maniac trying to pack in as much adventure as possible. So, this is the ultimate challenge to myself... can I actually relax?

hmmm... we will see.

So, if you are around that neck of the woods... i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to catch up wtih you. I am flying into Koh Samui on June 14 and then taking the ferry to Koh Phangan to stay at the Sanctuary (a total hippie joint!).

Let me know if our paths may cross.

xxxxx safe travels.

Sasha-san

Anonymous said...

Dude,
Paul eventually came-down to BA and we hit Mendoza and Iguazu. Loved them both! Glad you're having a blast as well. Unfortunately, I head back to the "real-world" on Monday night, to start work the following Tuesday [sigh]. Was baound to happen eventually. Stay bold, safe, happy and healthy.
Your Budd, Adrian