Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Igor´s Brazil Posts (2 of 3)

I´ve been in Brazil for a few days now, and there are a couple of things about which I have absolutely no knowledge. One is just about anything I´ve eaten. The food here is different than what´s in the rest of South America, even though it sometimes looks the same. For example, yesterday I ordered what I thought was a sweet baked good. I bit into it, and it was full of chicken and corn. It also had enough salt to drop an elephant. As a result of the increased blood pressure the salt caused, I felt juuuuuuuuuuust a teency, weency bit of a stroke coming on, so I stopped eating this thing. Eating here is a bit like gambling.

I´ll take what looks like the empanada. Yes! Tastes good, coming up kings. Let´s double down.

Give me the fruit that looks like a cucumber. Yes! Very sweet, tasty. Ace on one one. Blackjack, baby!!!

Next, I´d like the vegetable (???) that looks like a Martian rodent. Not bad. Six, but dealer showing seven. Tricky situation here, folks. Fuck it -- hit me.

D´oh! Busted out on the meat that looks like meat but tastes like a running shoe.

The second thing I don´t understand at all is the language. Let me first say that, along with Italian and Greek, Portuguese is one of the most pleasant languages I´ve heard. It´s really nice, but this is part of the problem. The language is difficult enough as it is, but it´s so appealing that, especially when a cute girl is trying to explain something to me, I get distracted and have no idea what´s going on. I ask things in Spanish, which the Brazilians are adept at understanding, but, of course, I get an answer in Portuguese. Sure, the words are similar when written, but the pronounciations are different enough from Spanish to throw off a person.

...It´s time to gamble. I mean eat.

Hit me.

Igor

No comments: