Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Good Morning Vietnam!

I've gotten to Vietnam safely. The last two days have been spent in Halong Bay, one of the most beautiful (and tourist-filled places) I've been on this trip. Halong Bay contains 2,000 stunning limestone islands that jut out of aquamarine water. Tonight, Turek, Jemale (two Americans that I met on the slow boat in Laos), and I bought bikes for our journey south. We will spend the rest of tomorrow finalizing our plans (maps, tent, rope, etc.) and then head out.

Briefly, I've been shocked about how friendly the Vietnamese are to us. One would think that after the United States killed more than 250,000 Vietnamese, injured more than 1 million, and destroyed much of their country, the Vietnamese might--just might--hold a small grudge. We've had so many people come up to us, touch us, laugh with us, hug us, and just say "hello" to us, that I've truly been amazed. I have a hard time believing that an American visiting Iraq 30 years from now will have a similar experience, for two reasons: 1) Iraqis are going to have great difficulty forgiving us for the mess we've created and 2) Who would ever want to spend their summer vacation in Iraq?

I am not sure that I will have internet access on the road but I will be thinking about two things as I make the long journey south: Mom's 60th birthday (hopefully you will forgive me for broadcasting your age) next week, and my brother and sister-in-law's new baby, due the first week in August. These are momentous occasions and the thought of missing both weigh heavily upon me. Ciao for now.

No comments: