Monday, July 2, 2007

Travel Update

Another Monday in Thailand. You know what that means.... Yep, yellow shirt day. Seriously, it is out of control.

Yesterday, I arrived in Chiang Mai, the biggest city in northern Thailand. (Another reason I love this country is because its cheap, cheap, cheap: 2 dollar haircuts, 1 dollar dinners, 50 cent cab rides, 6 dollar full-day moped rentals, and 50 dollar cross-country flights.) I came to northen Thailand to trek because it is far more mountainous than the south. However, after having been in Nepal, I couldn't bring myself to walk through the "hills" up here. In all seriousness, I hope that Nepal has not ruined my standards for what constitutes beautiful. So instead of trekking, I am going to explore over the next few days the "Golden Triangle". No, it isn't a seedy Thai massage parlor; it is the border region between Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos, made famous by endangered species smuggling and the opium trade. Thailand has all but stamped out the illegal activities on its side of the border so don't worry Grandma, I am safe!

I took this picture during a mountain bike ride on the hills overlooking Chaing Mai.

No comments: