Sunday, July 1, 2007

Hieronymus Bosch


Well, the Full Moon Party met and surpassed all hype. It was complete debauchery. Its like what I imagine Mardi Gras to be, but on a beautiful beach and without all the dirty old redncecks. Pamplona's Fiesta de San Fermin (Running of the Bulls) is the only other party that I've seen with more intensity... Before you send me any emails, that is not me sleeping in the picture.

The legendary party takes place, suprisingly, every full moon. Fifteen thousand people from all over the world come to Ko Pha Nagn, an island in southern Thailand, to dance the night away on a small stretch of beach. The party started in earnest about 9PM and we danced and danced and danced. I didn't end up going to bed until 11:30AM. I saw everything over the course of the fourteen hour party: people juggling fire, the same guy getting hit over the head with two different beer bottles, lots of body paint, water fights, and lots of skin. The lower picture is the sun rising over the party (sorry it is a bit fuzzy but it is apt for this point of the party.) The good news is that I survived and I didn't have to go to the makeshift clinics like several hundred other people. The Full Moon Party is something that everybody should experience once in their lives.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

I'm hoping that with thousands of people there that your brand of "dancing" went unnoticed! Sounds like a bit of the 60's frozen in time. Yeah baby!