Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A few musings from Kiwi-land

Just had a few random thoughts that I wanted to share with you.

Two more reasons why I love America: One of Australia's national symbols is the boomerang. New Zealand doesn't have much going for it besides its unparalleled beauty and its rugby team. In the last two weeks I learned that 1) Americans win the international boomerang competition in Australia every year, and 2)Rugby has been an Olympic sport exactly four times. The U.S. team won two out of those four times. (And we don't even care about rugby!) Listen up Brazil, Argentina, and Germany--it is only a matter of time before we win the soccer World Cup. And for some reason Americans have a reputation for being arrogant....

Southern Hemisphere's weather. It is beyond bizarre to see snow in the middle of August. It goes against everything that I've known for the last 27 years.

The Final Countdown. As my 6-month vacation wraps up, I can't get that damn Europe song out of my head. "Dadaa-da, dada-daaaaa....its the final countdown."

Borat. If you thought Borat was big in the States, he was an even bigger hit internationally, especially among the backpacker community. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a Czech guy say in his best Khazak accent, "Very Nice!"....

Moby Dick. I am still chasing the conclusion of Moby Dick. I have been reading it for five months and I still haven't gotten to the chase scene. There is no way that I am coming back home without finishing this book.

If you want to see more pictures of Kiwi-land, click on the album below:

Auckland and Queenstown, NZ

No comments: