Monday, August 13, 2007

Shark!

This morning I saw a whale shark, the biggest fish on Earth. I was confused as my dive instructor began waving wildly and sprinted off at an angle. I figured something was wrong and that we had to get out of the water immediately. To my great shock, I then noticed him swimming straight toward a MASSIVE creature, the biggest I had ever seen underwater. It was an enormous shark, about 28-30 feet long. (By comparison, the great white only grows to about 20 feet.) I followed the instructor and only became nervous when he grabbed my scuba vest and dragged me next to the shark's tail so I could touch it. One swipe of that tail and I wouldn't be writing this email. Nevertheless, it was amazing.

The funny part of the story is that I debated for a few hours whether to buy a disposable, underwater camera for my two days of scuba diving. In the end I decided to buy the camera in case I saw anything spectacular. The whale shark was just such a moment! So what happens when I go to grab the camera to take a picture of this monster? I can't find the damn camera anywhere! I look everywhere for it. I couldn't even find the camera after the shark left. It wasn't until I was back on the diveboat that I found it sanwiched in between my scuba vest and my wetsuit. D'oh! Imagine my embarassment when all the dive instructors, none of whom had ever before seen a whale shark, asked how many pictures I took of the shark....Oh well, I hope at least the turtle pictures turn out.

If for any reason, you want to learn more about whale sharks, click on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_shark

1 comment:

Benjamin and Libby said...

Dave, you are officially having a fantastic trip. I worked at the New England Aquarium with many oceanlife enthusiasts and only one of them had seen a whale shark (that person coincidentally filmed it for National Geo!) Haha.